Monday, January 2, 2012

hello world, this is me

happy 2012, one and all!  i’ve decided to get with the 21st century and start a blog with the following purposes:

1) keep a journal.  i’ve been doing a bad job of this in the past few years and i’m feeling bad karma from the posterity deities.  the pen and paper thing for documenting my life and musings, sad as it may seem, is just not a realistic goal.
2) track my 2012 goals (these are the current ones, but i want to check in and reset new ones quarterly) 
  a) maintain good exercise habits from 2011 and focus more on strength training.  take advantage of yoga classes offered at my gym, and be on the lookout for good deals on group exercise classes at other gyms (mine has slim pickins)
  b) make at least one new recipe a week.  this is not terribly difficult, as i cook a lot anyway, but i want to track my cooking better. 
  c) stop using my computer 1 hour before sleep and read print materials instead.  at least a few days a week.
  d) go into work at 8:30 instead of 9 in order to get out of the office every day for 30 minutes to walk around the neighborhood.  i'm lucky that i work in a vibrant area of seattle with really cool places in walking distance. 
  e) use my reusable grocery bags.  it's really not that hard but somehow i always forget them.
  f)  travel!!  san francisco is a must, and i'd love to also go to chicago.
3) simply, to write.  i never have considered myself a “great writer” or done it for “fun” but i never really dreaded writing papers when i was in school and managed to do pretty well on them.  it’s dawned on me that since finishing my masters degree in 2010, i haven’t really written much of anything besides e-mails, facebook musings, miscellaneous documents and things for work... this is not okay, right?  
i’m not really writing this with the purpose of anyone actually reading it, though i’d be happy for anyone who feels so behooved to do so.  i hope to update at least once a week throughout the year to report on my recipes and cooking, but at other times as desired.

back to the grind after a glorious long weekend,
maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment